This new ashram course exploring the essentials of meditation will combine two 5-day residential retreats with online teaching from the course tutors during the six months in between. The residential retreats will give you the opportunity to immerse yourself in the energy of the ashram and experience its daily routine and teachings. The online input will offer monthly teachings and ashram inspiration in the form of one 60 minute recording each month.
The course is specifically designed for those who live a long way from the ashram yet who are interested in regular ashram input; and it is for those who live busy lives and are therefore unable to visit the ashram as often as they would wish. The course content is suited to both experienced practitioners who wish to revisit their meditation practice and to those who wish to make meditation a fundamental aspect of their daily practice.
• Clear explanations of the purpose and practices of meditation
• Finding your optimum sitting position
• Kaya Sthairam (body stillness) – meditation practice to cultivate steadiness of the body
• Antar Mouna (inner silence) – a meditation practice which awakens our innate witness of inner phenomena such as thoughts, feelings and so forth
• Inner Smile meditation – to cultivate inner acceptance/kindness
• Introduction to mantra and its use in meditation, including the practice of Japa (repetition of a mantra) and Likhit Japa (the practice of writing a mantra)
• Inner Space Meditation - exploration of the physical, mental and emotional inner spaces
• Meditation in daily life
• Ajapa Japa - a classical meditation practice utilising mantra, breath and inner energetic pathways
• Practice of Neti Neti (not this, not this) from the Gyana Yoga tradition
• Appropriate related input on pranayama (breathing practices), mudra (symbolic gestures) and jalandhara bandha (the neck lock)
• Havan (meditative fire ceremony) and mantra
Initial residential retreat: 19-24 September 2017
Final residential retreat: 20-25 March 2018
These will be shared each month from October 2017 to February 2018. Each month you will be able to download a 60 minute recording. This will comprise of new teaching input, a guided practice to illustrate this new input, and guidelines for how to develop this practice over the month. The recording will be by one or more of the course tutors.
Each month you will be able to have email contact with one of the course tutors who will act as a personal mentor throughout the course. This monthly contact can give you added motivation, resolve any doubts, clarify questions and enable you to feel supported throughout the course. You will also be able to gain support from your peer group.
Course Fee: £945
(Non refundable) Deposit: £255
Balance: £690 paid in instalments over six months at £115 per month
To optimise the quality of experience for all participants, the numbers will be limited to 20 places only, and will be allocated on a first come first serve basis. Applications to participate in this new course, which is being offered in this residential and online format for the first time by the ashram, can be made through the application form.