People are often unaware that there is a philosophical element to yoga which helps us understand and deepen our yoga practice, as well as to discover meaning in our life.
Philosophy taught at the Mandala Yoga Ashram complements the yoga practices that we teach, learn and do. It includes:
- the chakras - energy centres within us which affect our vitality, mental processes, emotional responses, perception and states of consciousness
- the koshas - layers in the spectrum of our being from the surface level of our physical body to the depths of the unconscious mind
- the Bhagavad Gita - classical text containing the teachings given by Krishna to Arjuna, including explanations of the main paths of yoga
- the Upanishads - classical texts full of spiritual wisdom and answers to life's questions
- the teachings of Shankaracharya, including his classical Bhaja Govindam
- Patanjali's Yoga Sutras - classical text explaining how to use yoga to attain stillness
- the Vigyana Bhairava Tantra - bringing spaciousness and awareness into daily life.