Shat karma are cleansing processes specifically designed for cleansing and purifying the body and balancing the mind and emotions. We tend to breathe in polluted air and ingest chemicals in our foods so these practices are almost essential if we are to find abundant health. The shat karma include:
- neti (nasal cleansing)
- dhouti (cleansing the digestive tract)
- basti (colonic cleansing)
- nauli (abdominal massage)
- kapalabhati (vitalisation of frontal brain lobes)
- trataka (focused gazing at one point or object).
We strongly advise you to learn shat karma from a competent yoga teacher - these can be powerful techniques and should not be learnt from book.